No matter how hard we may try to plan our days, we can find ourselves pressed for time on a regular basis. To avoid snacking on unwanted foods when there is just no time for a nice sit-down meal, doing a little prep beforehand can be a lifesaver. Emergency foods are easy to put together. Having those ready when you need them will make you feel good about still taking care of your health while having a zillion other things to do. As mentioned in a previous post, 12 “on-the-Go” Healthy Snack Options, a short list of easy to prepare healthy snack options (or “emergency foods”), paired with occasional good quality protein bars, is an awesome way to stay primal/paleo even on the most hectic days!
Easy Healthy Snack Options
- Artichoke hearts (with water, preferably in glass jars)
- Beef jerky (homemade or minimally processed)
- Dark chocolate: 85 percent cacao or above being better
- Canned fish: sardines, anchovies, and oysters are my favorites
- Cut-up raw vegetables with nut butters or guacamole
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Kale chips
- Low-glycemic fruits like berries
- Nuts and nut butters (not to overdo on those though). As a side note, peanuts are a legume, not a nut.
- Pasture-raised/grass-fed or organic cheese made with raw milk (directly from a farm ideally)
- Slices of cold meat or poultry (with primal/paleo-approved condiments if needed)
Unless you are ready to go a little while without food, having any of the above emergency foods on hand can be a blessing in some situations! To this, several primal/keto-approved bars can be pretty handy too. I particularly enjoy the Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bars, Primal Kitchen Bars, Epic Bars, and the Design for Health KTO BARS. Perfect Keto offers some amazing bars too. Having one or two protein bars in your purse or bag at all times is a sure way to satisfy any arising hunger and to stay away from unhealthy snack options.
Until next time!
You can also find me on Instagram.