“On-the-go” healthy snack options can be a lifesaver
During the busy Holiday season, having on-hand healthy snack options can be a big help when we have a weekend-to-do list that is longer than usual. To avoid snacking on unwanted foods, doing a little prep at home beforehand can be a lifesaver. “On-the-go” healthy snack options are easy to put together. And to have those ready when you need them will make you feel good about still taking care of your health while having a zillion other things to do.
12 snack options to have on hand
- Artichoke hearts (with water, preferably in glass jars)
- Beef jerky (homemade or minimally processed)
- Dark chocolate: 85 percent cacao or above being better
- Canned fish: sardines, anchovies, and oysters are my favorites
- Cut-up raw vegetables with nut butters or guacamole
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Low-glycemic fruits like berries
- Nuts and nut butters (not to overdo on those though). As a sidenote, peanuts are a legume, not a nut.
- Pasture-raised/grass-fed or organic cheese made with raw milk (directly from a farm ideally)
- Slices of cold meat or poultry (with primal/paleo-approved condiments if needed)
The protein bars I enjoy having on hand
When pressed for time, primal/keto-approved bars can be pretty handy too. I particularly enjoy the Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bars, Primal Kitchen Bars, Epic Bars (I mentioned the EPIC brand in a previous post regarding pork rings as a snack), and the Design for Health KTO BARS. Having one or two protein bars in your purse or bag at all times is a sure way to satisfy any arising hunger and to stay away from unhealthy snack options.
This short list of easy to prepare healthy snack options, paired with occasional good quality protein bars, is an awesome way to stay primal even on the most hectic days!
Perlmutter, David, and Kristin Loberg. Grain Brain : The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar–Your Brain’s Silent Killers. New York, Ny, Little, Brown And Co, 2013, p. 247.
Sisson, Mark. The Primal Blueprint : 21-Day Total Body Transformation. Oxnard, Ca, Primal Blueprint Publishing, 2016, pp. 105, 118.
You can also find me on Instagram.