Why Focus on Gut Health
When your gut is not healthy, it can cause an array of diseases as it is where inflammation often starts. A great deal of your immune system resides in the gut, which makes focusing on gut health all the more primordial to overall health. Fortunately, you can enhance your gut health (and gut microbiome) by eating the right foods for your metabolism which should include anti-inflammatory foods and beneficial probiotics, among other things.
9 Easy Strategies for Better Gut Health
- Consume a wide array of plant foods (vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds), which should also include polyphenol-rich foods.
- Prioritize prebiotic foods (like garlic, onions, asparagus, artichokes, and unripe bananas or plantains) and probiotic foods (like yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, and cultured vegetables).
- Eat high-fiber foods (vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds).
- Use gut-supporting herbs and spices (like ginger, turmeric, peppermint, chamomile, fennel, and dandelion).
- Steer clear of consuming too much sugar or any artificial sweetener
- Keep away from ultra-processed foods.
- Don’t forget collagen, beneficial to the gut lining (easily obtained from bone broth, for instance).
- Make sure you drink enough fluids to stay hydrated (water, seltzer, bone broth, herbal teas, black and green teas, etc.).
- Limit alcohol consumption.
On a Final Note
Gut health is also impacted by your stress levels, the amount of exercise you do every day, and how much sleep you are getting. So it is very important not to neglect those pillars of health either. A healthy gut should allow you to digest foods efficiently, along with having regular bowel movements, a balanced gut microbiota, a strong intestinal barrier, and a normal immune system function.
Working towards better gut health can take time and require a lot of patience and dedication, but it may be one of the most important things you can do for your overall health. And now may be the best time of the year to get started, with all the amazing vegetables and fruits available!
Until next time!
Jillian Levy. (2023, January 13). Human Microbiome: How It Works + a Diet for Gut Health. Dr. Axe. https://draxe.com/health/microbiome/
Rubin, J. (2023, March 24). How to Improve Gut Health. Ancient Nutrition | Dr. Axe. https://ancientnutrition.com/blogs/all/how-to-boost-gut-health
You can also find me on Instagram.